Skip to main content

How to Write a Cold Email for a Job That Isn't Advertised

How to Write a Cold Email for a Job That Isn't Advertised
How to Write a Cold Email for a Job That Isn't Advertised


I remember staring at my laptop screen, cursor blinking, heart racing.

It was 2018. I had just found my dream company. They weren't hiring. No job postings. No "careers" page. Nothing.

But I knew I could help them. I had the skills. I had the experience. I just needed to get in front of the right person.

So I did something that terrified me. I wrote a cold email.

The first one was terrible. Generic. Boring. Never got a reply.

The second one was better. Still no reply.

The third one? That one landed me an interview. And eventually, a job.

That experience changed everything for me. Since then, I've sent dozens of cold emails for unadvertised roles. Some worked. Some didn't. But I learned exactly what works and what doesn't.

Today, I want to share that with you. No fluff. No generic advice. Real, actionable steps from someone who's been in your shoes.

The Biggest Myth About Cold Emailing

Here's what most people get wrong: They think cold emailing is about asking for a job.

It's not.

Cold emailing is about starting a conversation. It's about showing value before asking for anything. It's about making the recipient think, "Hmm, this person actually gets it."

When I sent that winning email, I didn't ask for a job. I asked for 15 minutes to share an idea I had about their business. That's it. No pressure. No desperation.

That 15-minute call turned into a 45-minute conversation. That conversation turned into an interview. That interview turned into an offer.

If you want to learn more about attracting opportunities without being pushy, check out how cold emailing can bring you clients with a template.

Step 1: Find the Right Person to Contact

This is where most people mess up. They email the generic "info@" or "careers@" address.

Don't do that.

You need to find the decision-maker. The hiring manager. The department head. The person who actually has the power to say yes.

Here's how I do it:

  1. LinkedIn: Search for the company and look for people with titles like "Head of," "Director," "VP," or "Manager" in your department.
  2. Company Website: Look for the "Team" or "About" page. Many companies list their leadership team.
  3. Hunter.io: This tool helps you find email addresses based on company domains.
  4. Apollo.io: A great database for finding decision-makers and their contact info.

Once I have a list of 3-5 potential contacts, I research them. I look at their LinkedIn profile. I read their recent posts. I check if we have any mutual connections.

This research takes 15-20 minutes per person. It's worth it. A personalized email to the right person beats a generic email to 100 wrong people.

For more on identifying the right people to contact, read how to identify high-quality leads.

Step 2: Research the Company Like a Detective

Before writing a single word, I spend at least 30 minutes researching the company.

I look at:

  • Their recent blog posts
  • Their social media activity
  • Any news or press releases
  • Their products or services
  • Their competitors
  • Any challenges they might be facing

This research helps me find something specific to mention in my email. Something that shows I've done my homework.

For example, when I emailed that dream company, I noticed they had just launched a new product line. I mentioned that in my email and shared a quick idea about how I could help with the launch.

That one specific detail made all the difference.

Step 3: The Perfect Cold Email Structure

After dozens of emails, I've found a structure that consistently gets replies.

Here it is:

Subject Line

Keep it short and personal. Use their name or mention something specific.

Examples:

  • "Sarah, quick question about your product launch"
  • "Idea for [Company Name]'s marketing strategy"
  • "Following up on [Something specific]"

Opening (2-3 sentences)

Start with a genuine compliment or reference something specific about their work.

Example: "I've been following [Company Name]'s work in [industry] for a while. Your recent post about [specific topic] really resonated with me."

Value Statement (2-3 sentences)

Show that you understand their business and have something valuable to offer.

Example: "I noticed you're expanding into [new market]. I helped a similar company navigate this transition and thought I might have some relevant insights."

The Ask (1 sentence)

Make it low pressure. Ask for a conversation, not a job.

Example: "Would you be open to a 15-minute call to share some ideas?"

Closing (1 sentence)

Keep it simple and professional.

Example: "Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Best, [Your name]"

Signature

Include your full name, LinkedIn profile link, and a link to your portfolio or website.

Step 4: The Email That Actually Got Me a Job

Here's the actual email that landed me an interview for an unadvertised role.

Subject: "Sarah, quick thought on your content strategy"

Hi Sarah,

I've been following [Company]'s blog for a few months. Your recent post on [specific topic] was really insightful.

I noticed you're shifting toward more video content. I've been doing video editing and content strategy for 5 years. I recently helped a similar brand increase their video engagement by 40% in 3 months.

Would you be open to a 15-minute call to share some of my learnings? No pressure, just a conversation.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best,

John Doe

Portfolio: [link]

LinkedIn: [link]

This email got a response within 24 hours. She said, "This is exactly what we need. Can we schedule a call?"

For more cold email templates, check out how cold emailing can bring you clients with a template.

Step 5: Follow-Up (The Secret Weapon)

Here's a hard truth: Most people don't reply to the first email.

I used to give up after one email. Big mistake.

Now I follow up 3-4 times. Each follow-up is spaced 3-5 days apart. And each one adds a little more value.

Here's my follow-up sequence:

  1. Email 1: The initial email (as shown above).
  2. Email 2 (Day 4): "Just wanted to circle back on this. I know you're busy, but I'd love to share some quick ideas."
  3. Email 3 (Day 8): Share a piece of content or an idea relevant to their business. "I came across this and thought of your team."
  4. Email 4 (Day 12): "One last try. If now's not a good time, I understand. Wishing you all the best."

One of my best job opportunities came from that fourth email. The person apologized for missing my earlier emails and scheduled a call immediately.

Mistakes I Made (So You Don't Have To)

Here are the biggest mistakes I made during my cold email journey:

Mistake #1: Making It About Me

My early emails were all about me. My experience. My skills. My achievements.

Boring. No one cares.

Make it about them. Show you understand their challenges and have solutions.

Mistake #2: Being Too Vague

I used to write generic emails that could have been sent to anyone.

"I'm a marketing professional looking for new opportunities."

Delete.

Get specific. Mention their company. Mention their work. Show you actually paid attention.

Mistake #3: Not Including a Clear Call to Action

I used to end emails with "Let me know if you're interested."

Too vague. Too passive.

Be direct. "Would you be open to a 15-minute call?" "Can I send over a few ideas?"

Mistake #4: Forgetting to Attach My Portfolio

I once sent a perfect email but forgot to include my portfolio link. The person asked for it, and the delay cost me the opportunity.

Always include a link to your work. Make it easy for them to see what you can do.

Tools That Helped Me Write Better Emails

Here are the tools I used:

  • Hunter.io: To find email addresses
  • Apollo.io: For researching prospects
  • LinkedIn Sales Navigator: To find decision-makers
  • Grammarly: To catch typos and improve clarity
  • Notion: To track my outreach and follow-ups

I also offer data enrichment and job search services that can help you find the right contacts faster.

What If You Get No Response?

This happens more often than not. Don't take it personally.

People are busy. Emails get buried. Sometimes it's just bad timing.

Here's what I do when I get no response:

  1. Send a follow-up as described above.
  2. Engage with them on LinkedIn by commenting on their posts.
  3. Wait 2-3 weeks and try again with a fresh angle.
  4. Move on to the next person on my list.

I once sent 50 cold emails and got 3 responses. Two of those led to interviews. One led to a job offer.

The numbers don't matter. The one that works makes all the effort worth it.

Final Thoughts: The Hidden Job Market Is Real

Here's a secret most people don't know: The majority of jobs are never advertised.

They're filled through networking, referrals, and yes, cold emails.

When I learned this, everything changed. I stopped waiting for job postings. I started reaching out directly to companies I wanted to work for.

It's scary at first. Rejection sucks. But the alternative is competing with 1,000 other applicants for a public job posting.

I know which odds I prefer.

So here's my challenge to you: Pick one company you admire. Find the right person. Do the research. Send that email.

It might take one email. It might take ten. But eventually, it will work.

And when it does, you'll realize that the best jobs are the ones that never had a job posting.

If you need help managing your business finances once you land that job or start freelancing, I offer QuickBooks monthly bookkeeping services. You can also check out my other services like Excel and Power BI dashboards and pipeline data annotation.

Good luck. Go send that email.


Other helpful resources:

My Fiverr gigs:

My Fiverr profile: https://www.fiverr.com/hamzaawan141

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Freelancers Can Build a Powerful Email List

How Freelancers Can Build a Powerful Email List As a freelancer, your email list can become one of your most important business assets. While social media sites may shift overnight, an email list is yours. It enables you to gain trust, demonstrate your expertise, and drive steady client interaction. In this guide, we'll take you through actionable, tested techniques for creating a strong email list—regardless of your niche or level of experience. 1. Produce a Lead Magnet that Provides Actual Value A good lead magnet is usually the initial step to having someone on your list. It may be: Free PDF checklist Short video training Email course Industry-specific toolkit Ensure your lead magnet addresses an actual problem your audience has. ( Read: How to Create a Lead Magnet that Converts  ) 2. Implement a High-Converting Opt-in Form Position opt-in forms in several locations on your site: Homepage Blog sidebar Exit pop-up Footer In...

Lead Qualification: How to Identify High-Quality Leads

  Lead Qualification: How to Identify High-Quality Leads If you're generating leads but can't seem to convert them into paying customers, the issue may not be the number—it's the quality. Lead qualification allows you to target the proper prospects, conserving time and boosting your success rate. What is Lead Qualification? Lead qualification is the activity of ascertaining if a lead will pay. It's assessing if the lead belongs to your target market and possesses need, interest, and budget for your service. Why Lead Qualification Is Important Saves Time : Work on prospects that are more likely to convert. Improve ROI : Invest resources in leads that actually count. Shortens Sales Cycle : Qualified leads travel through the funnel quickly. Increases Close Rates : Speak with individuals who already fit well. 7 Proven Lead Qualification Methods 1. Define Your Ideal Client Profile (ICP) Before you qualify leads, you need to understand who ...

LinkedIn Lead Generation Tips for Freelancers

  LinkedIn Lead Generation Tips for Freelancers As a freelancer,  getting  clients can  most   likely  be the most time-consuming  aspect  of your business.  Luckily , LinkedIn—a  network   comprising   more   than  1 billion professionals—is a lead generation goldmine, if  leveraged  strategically. It  has   the potential to  get you high-quality leads who  require  your services. Here is a step-by-step  guide  on how to  do   it . 1. Optimize Your Profile for Conversions Your LinkedIn profile is your online business card.  Make   sure  that it  conveys  the following  in a clear manner : Who you are What you do Who you serve How to reach you ✅ Tips: Use a professional headshot Create  a strong headline (e.g., "QuickBooks Bookkeeper for Small Businesses | Keeping You Tax-Ready Year-Round")   a solid summary wi...